Mr. Kaatz’s experience includes in-depth analyses for over 500 convention, hospitality, destination planning and public assembly facility projects. The results of these studies have been have been used to assist public and private sector entities in assessing project market and financial feasibility, developing viable building program solutions, improving marketing and operational performance, preparing comprehensive destination development plans, and in developing policies and procedures to maximize financial and economic impact performance.
Prior to joining CSL, John was the Director of Coopers & Lybrand’s Convention and Visitor Industry Consulting Group based in Dallas. John has been asked to speak at various industry forums and seminars related to the convention, visitor and sports industries. He has also testified before local and state-wide public bodies related to the financial and economic implications of public sector investment in the convention and visitor industry.
John has led studies within the industry focusing on a variety of areas including:
- Using extensive market research methods to define the event potential for projects specific to their unique markets.
- Preparing short and long range building program solutions tied to the unique market characteristics of a project.
- Analyzing the financial operating and economic impact potential for a project.
- Developing alternatives for project financing.
- Preparing analysis of existing facility pricing, marketing, operational and other policies, and making recommendations for improvement.
- Developing comprehensive market-wide plans for broader hotel, entertainment and other destination development aspects focused on the convention and visitor industry.
- Analyzing public assembly facility management structure alternatives.
- Conducting comprehensive benchmarking and industry trend analysis, drawing from our comprehensive database of industry metrics.
John holds a B.S. in Economics from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. He has been quoted in numerous national and local publications on topics related to the public assembly industry. John is a member of the International Association of Venue Managers and Destination Marketing Association International.